Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Ghost

Living with the Ghost of my daughter's Other Mama
is like walking through the home of a friend...
when she's not there.
I hear her voice echoing.
I see her silhouette walking the halls.
I see her fingerprints on everything I touch.

She is very much present.
Not threatening - not troubling - not antagonistic...
but present nonetheless.

I need to live with her Ghost graciously.

Because my daughter will need to be taught to do the same.

Teach me, God. I feel haunted sometimes by this sweet smothering. But I am wary of dismissing it.


3 comments:

  1. Yes. Parenting with the memory or the fact of other mommas is tough stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Esty. I have been giving so much thought to this very thing lately...worrying I won't get it right.

    ReplyDelete