Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Waiting to Wait

(first posted on Thursday Sept 9, 2009)

We are not adopting.
Not yet.
We are waiting.
Then after that's done, we will wait some more.
And we know it.
Instead of filling out adoption paperwork or looking at lists of children or waiting on a referral with a picture of our destined daughter we are doing something first
- getting things in order financially.
And guess what?! - it's boring. BORING. Bor-ING.
***NEWS-FLASH: Paying off debt is BORING***
BUT it is important.
Important enough to be the catalyst for a major move from the Mountain to the Beach, important enough to sell our home, move our boys, cause the Hub to take a new job at a new practice, cause us to refocus and and rebudget
and change almost everything about the way we do life.
Sometimes important events are exciting:
weddings! birthdays! Disney trips! engagements!
Gotchya days! good news from a doctor! court dates!
(((YAY! EXITING!!!)))
And then again, other important events? Not so much:
Sending a check.
Watching it clear.
Checking off a list.
(((WOWZA. - NOT REALLY THRILLING ALMOST AT ALL.)))
But, it's what's happening.
The Challenge here is to be content while we are waiting and doing what amounts to feeling like watching paint peel or milk sour or grass grow.
Again: boring.
Adoption is in our future; it's going to happen; it's approaching every day; it's destined and it's certain.
But we are aiming a slingshot without releasing it yet - we are waiting.
God hasn't let us begin, yet.
He is teaching us something here,
the same things He teaches us with every Challenge -it's not a new thing, it's not a different thing and it's actually what He will be using all future Challenges to teach us, once we begin the adoption process, once we are all home together, for the rest of our lives in fact:
To Be Close to Him.
That's all.
And do you know how much more I desperately seek Him, speak to Him, open his Word for direction and comfort and express weak neediness now that I am homeschooling and waiting to adopt than I did ever before?
My children, here at home and somewhere yet unborn overseas are already the cause of a greater love between me and my Jesus.
They are amazingly pushing me towards Him in my own neediness.
They are already glorifying Him.
That's amazing.
Even though I am waiting.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! My husband and I recently adopted from DR Congo. I am starting to look into adopting again. I have been interested in learning more about Ugandan adoption. Can you email me and tell me more information about how you got started, what agency you are using, etc? I could use some direction.
    Thanks! My email is onesweetworld67 at gmail dot com :)

    ReplyDelete